In February 1943, the Brandenburg Regiment was withdrawn from the Eastern front and moved back to Germany. The Regiment was being expanded to become a division. The first commander of the new Brandenburg Division was Generalmajor Alexander von Pfuhlstein. The division was to be formed by four regiments. One regiment was returned to the Eastern front, to resume duties as a "fire brigade", and a battalion was sent to North Africa to continue harassing the Allies in the Mediterranean.