The original hall was built by David Papillon in1624, a man of French Huguenot descent who specialised in building fortifications. The building was octagonal in shape and surrounded by a moat. In 1903, the building was extended & refurbished by the well known British architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens who was obviously inspired by the hall’s French name for butterfly, by creating four ‘wings’ along with an extra floor. It was during this rebuild that a skeleton was discovered hidden behind a wall
Papillon Hall The ornamental pond at Papillon Hall. The original octagonal house was built in 1622-24 by David Papillon and was enlarged by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1903. The house was demolished in 1950. Photographs taken for Houses and Gardens by E. L. Lutyens, 1913.